click for LARGER TEXT
Habitat Hosting College Volunteers During Break in Taos
Habitat for Humanity of Taos will host students from seven colleges and universities across the country during their spring breaks in March to help build a home for a family in need of affordable housing in Taos County.
The 136 students are participating in Habitat for Humanity’s national alternative break program, Collegiate Challenge. “Collegiate Challenge is an excellent opportunity for college students wanting to travel to exciting new places and learn about diverse cultures, and Taos definitely offers that experience,” said Susan Nuss, volunteer coordinator of Habitat for Humanity of Taos, in a prepared statement. “We also have tremendous need for affordable housing here in Taos, so Collegiate Challenge offers a win-win situation. The students learn about Taos while they build a much needed home for a family. It’s really a life-changing project for everybody involved.”
Students from Lycoming College in Pennsylvania, Michigan Technical University, University of South Dakota, Marist College in New York, University of Missouri at Columbia, Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota and U.S. Air Force Academy will each spend a week helping to build a traditional adobe home in the Chamisa Verde subdivision.
The Collegiate Challenge program is one of the many programs Habitat has to engage youth ages 16 to 25 in Habitat’s work. State Farm has served as the national corporate sponsor of Habitat for Humanity’s youth programs since 2007.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:00 am
News• Hammers, Nails, and Empowerment
• Getting Down to Business ReStore
• 2017 WOMEN BUILD'S "SHE/HE NAILED IT" EVENT [PDF: 10.21 MB - Aug 31, 2017]
• Habitat Taos' new headquarters making great progress.
• BENEFITS OF HOMEOWNERSHIP [PDF: 1.24 MB - Apr 08, 2016]
• Belonging breaks the cycle of poverty - MY TURN Taos News Article
• Habitat for Humanity of Taos invites women to build
• Success Story 2015 - HFHT [PDF: 712 KB - Oct 29, 2015]
• Parade of Homes to benefit Taos Habitat for Humanity affiliate
• Taos Habitat seeks women builders
• HFHT to celebrate finishing 29th home
• HFHT Building Community Pride by the Taos News
• HFHT Seeking Questa Home Applicants
• Children's Drawing Contest
• Mission Trip Article by Willie Van Doren of Church of Our Saviour
• Building a house in Taos
• 600th Habitat Home in NM
• Habitat Hosting College Volunteers During Break in Taos
• My Turn: Please help us build for Taos
• My Time Volunteering for Habitat for Humanity of Taos